Tuesday 5 March 2013

KitchenAid mixer to beat this bad baker into shape!

Ice Blue KitchenAid mixer

Check out the latest addition to my culinary collection, an Ice Blue KitchenAid mixer...isn't it beautiful?!

To be honest I still can't quite believe this gorgeous mixer is mine...every time it catches my eye from across the worktop, my heart skips a beat and my stomach fills with butterflies...it's definitely love at first sight!

It's no secret that I've never been any good at baking; preferring so far to stick to the safety of savoury cooking, where technical errors can be masked by bold flavours.

They say a bad workman blames his tools, and whilst I'm grateful to my boyfriend for having previously performed the role of my personal egg-white whisker, I have felt for a long time that a more heavy-duty helping hand was required to boost my baking skills.

No doubt my man isn't the only one who's relieved that I've finally taken the plunge and bought my own mixer...I've been drooling over these KitchenAids for so long that my friends and family were becoming fed up of listening to my mental anguish over which colour would look best in my little London flat. But deep down, my heart was always set on one colour: Ice Blue...the same shade as my bedroom walls when I was a teenager!

Clearly a piece of kit as stunning as this deserves to take pride of place on display in the kitchen. So now that I'm the proud owner of the mixer of any food-loving girl's dreams, only one important question remains...what should I bake first?!

Joy the Baker's cookbook and an Ice blue KitchenAid

Skimming through the recipes in my signed copy of Joy the Baker's cookbook, I instinctly feel that whatever I bake should have some form of sweet topping...

...perhaps the quintessentially American red velvet cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting?

...or a chance to experiment with layers, in Portuguese Girl Jessica's banana chocolate cake with dulce de leche frosting?

...or I could convince myself that cakes aren't that unhealthy really...surely a slice of Shutterbean's carrot and pineapple bundt with sour cream frosting counts as two fruit and veg portions from my five-a-day?!

The verdict on Twitter was that I should whip up a gigantic fluffy pavlova...whilst Joy herself suggested that I roll out a batch of chocolate chip cookies. However, I think I might have stumbled across the ideal recipe that combines all of these delicious flavours and textures, and definitely looks worth a try...Joy's chocolate, peanut butter cookie, toasted marshmallow cupcakes!

Watch this space (and my Instagram feed) to see how long it takes for me to get to grips with the KitchenAid mixer's magical powers...let's hope this bad baker is beaten into shape soon!

1 comment:

  1. It's SO shiny! Those cupcakes sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete