Saturday 25 June 2011

Flocking to Hummingbird



Yesterday was a seminal moment in my foodie life - my first ever visit to the famous Hummingbird Bakery. I am now a proud member of the exclusive club of gourmands who has visited both this London bakehouse and the Magnolia Bakery, the even more renowned American version of cake paradise.

As someone who is always intrigued to try new delicacies but is prone to indecision, placing an order at any eatery can be a bit of an ordeal…and this dilemma is magnified even further when the treats on offer are all so legendary. Should I opt for the classic cupcake that made the store so notorious, or should I branch out and try a cake combining the two latest crazes to hit the States, the Red Velvet Whoopie Pie - a sandwich consisting of two garnet-coloured chocolate cookies melded together by a marshmallowy cream cheese filling? Luckily I was accompanied by a fellow food lover, so between us we sampled both the Red Velvet Whoopie Pie and a Black Bottom Cupcake - a wondrous chocolate sponge containing a secret cheesecake centre and coated in delicious creamy frosting.
The experience was made even more momentous thanks to the amazing punnets our baked goodies were presented in - the perfect way to protect our precious cargo until we could settle on the nearest park bench. Unfortunately I was so overwhelmed by the excitement of the whole episode that I forgot to take a photo of the wonders that awaited us inside the packages! But in both baked treats the sponge was moist and light, and the frosting was sweet and fluffy, as if I was eating one of the clouds that was floating past me in the afternoon sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment